Developed to overcome the inherent instability of challenging data networks like the public Internet, BRIC Technology provides a sophisticated suite of tools that allow for high-quality, low-latency, stable transmission of audio over a wide variety of data networks. Intelligent, Dynamic Jitter Buffer Management, BRIC Algorithms and the BRIC-Traversal Server all work together to provide the most stable Audio over IP transmission platform available for remote broadcast.
IP networks are available virtually everywhere. ACCESS 2USB offers several ways to get connected. You can utilize the included USB Wi-Fi modem to connect to widely available HotSpots or use the integrated Ethernet port to connect to wired DSL or broadband cable IP networks. Either of the two USB ports will accommodate connections to 3G/4G cellular data networks using Comrex supported USB devices. ACCESS 2USB also includes a USB POTS/PSTN modem for use on legacy analog phone lines.
Not all IP Networks are created equally. In fact, some can be quite challenging such as certain Wi-Fi and 3G cellular connections. Comrex has developed BRUTE (BRIC UDP Transmission Enhancement) to help maintain stable and reliable transmission on marginal networks. UDP Reliability and Congestion Avoidance modes provide an extra measure of error protection with a minimal increase in latency.
AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
ACCESS 2USB includes our popular HQ algorithm suite for backward compatibility, but now includes AAC modes as standard. For broadcasts that require the highest audio quality available, AAC delivers. AAC, AAC-LD (low delay), HE-AAC (high efficiency), HE-AACv2 and AAC-ELD (enhanced low delay) can accommodate nearly any bandwidth, latency or audio quality requirement. In particular, the AAC-ELD mode provides the perfect balance of low bit rate, low delay, and high quality audio to get the best out of remote broadcasts.
ACCESS 2USB is quite simply the most portable and versatile professional IP audio codec on the market. With its 7-hour Lithium Ion battery, integrated mixer, easy-to-navigate touch screen and handheld form factor, ACCESS can go just about anywhere...and has! Wherever there is breaking news, a major sporting event or large outdoor festival, you’re likely to see an ACCESS Portable. The ACCESS Portable is the "go-to" remote broadcast tool for broadcasters worldwide. You can read stories from our users at: http://remotes.comrex.com
ACCESS 2USB provides a single MIC/Line input on XLR plus stereo line level inputs and outputs and a headphone output. It’s perfect for reporters running after a story or simple remotes. For situations that require more mics and headphones, the optional ACCESS Mixer easily docks onto the side of the ACCESS 2USB to provide a total of six switchable MIC/Line XLR inputs and six headphone outputs.
Connect and Control
ACCESS codecs offer several ways to be configured, controlled and managed. Comrex BRIC Device Manager is a free Windows app that allows for easy IP configuration of ACCESS codecs as well as firmware and license updates. BRIC-Remote Control, also available at no charge to Comrex customers, provides an easy way to connect and control a fleet of ACCESS codecs from a central location. Comrex BRIC-Traversal Server, managed by Comrex and included with the ACCESS products, provides a simple way for ACCESS codecs to "see" each other from behind Firewalls and private LANs.
ACCESS Portable2 USB Detailed Features:
- Uses BRIC technology to deliver broadcast audio over the public Internet
- User interface via integrated LCD/touch screen for display menus and metering
- Web browser included for connection to Wi-Fi access points that require log-in
- Built-in Ethernet port
- Built-in rechargeable battery supplies 7 hours of talk-time (5 hours with mixer)
- Connection to a wide range of data networks via integral USB ports including:
- Modem Connections
- 3G Cellular Links
- Wi-Fi or Wi-Max Access cards
- Ethernet port acts as Internet sharing device, allowing use of laptops on circuits utilizing USB devices
- Backward compatibility to Comrex POTS codecs
- MPEG 4/AAC algorithms available for extremely high quality audio. For details, visit the AAC page
- Optional Mixer provides up to 6 Mono inputs/headphone outputs as wells as stereo inputs when connected to ACCESS Portable 2USB
- Optional custom cases are available to protect your ACCESS Portable 2USB from the rigors of the road
- Stereo analog line level inputs/outputs on unbalanced 1/8" (3mm) mini jacks
- "Hands free" cellular connection on 1/8" (3mm) mini jack
- Two USB ports
- DIN connector for serial ancillary data
- DIN connector for Contact closures (4)
- Multi-pin connector for optional mixer
ACCESS will work on a wide variety of wired and wireless data circuits, including:
- Wired Ethernet Networks - Cable, DSL, T1, T3, etc.
- Wireless Networks - 802.11b,g,n WiFi
- 3G / 4G Cellular Data Networks - EVDO, UMTS, WiMax
- Satellite Terminals
- POTS Analog Telephone Lines
- Public Internet - Uses Revolutionary BRIC Technology, designed to overcome the innate unreliability of the public Internet
ACCESS is also a full-featured POTS codec:
- Use ACCESS to make a POTS-to-POTS connection. Dial up a Comrex POTS codec (including Matrix, Vector or BlueBox).
- You can deliver 15 kHz Stereo on a single POTS line when connecting to another ACCESS.